These are just suggestions, feel free to be as creative as you like
Base Materials : sheet of plywood (1/4” max) or plywood scraps.
6 x ¾” or 1” sturdy bolts, with nuts and lock washers (wing nuts help for ease of dismantling)
At least 4 Large flat washers
Additional Materials : Paints, decorations to suit
Step 1. Cut 4 pieces approximately 4 ft long by 1.5 ft deep, Cut to your own design size and shape.
Step 2. At the Bow/Stern ends of each piece drill 2 holes to fit bolt size, 6” – 8” apart, and 1”- 2” from edge. At the mid-beam ends drill one hole about 2” to 4” from the edge at mid depth. NB: All holes should match on all pieces.
Step 3. Paint and decorate to your hearts content.
Step 4. To construct: Make two halves of the boat by bolting two bow/stern ends together. Then bolt the corresponding mid-beam joints. Place two large flat washers between the plywood, when bolting the mid-beam, this allows for flexibility. The nut ends of the bolts should be placed facing out, to avoid injuring crew. If you use ¼” ply the sides will be flexible enough to widen the beam.
Step 5. To Race:
- You need 2 to 4 crewmen (or more).
- The crew stands between the starboard and port sides
- Run the course as directed.
Step 6. Make modifications as desired: here are some ideas:
- Cut hand holds for crew to carry boat
- Add shoulder ropes for each crewmember to help carry
- Add a couple of cross beam stabilizers to give boat width
- Add trappings that any good Captain would have in his or her vessel.